Saturday, July 18, 2009

Because "quick" just wouldn't fit

It has recently come to my attention that several people (especially my sister and husband) get a pretty good kick out of my annoyance with grammatical errors on signs and the intentional misspellings of business names. In fact, I would say that it ranks at the top of my pet peeve list, along with the god-awful gagging noise Andrew makes as he finishes brushing his teeth. It's unbelievably loud and disgusting, but I digress...

I just cannot seem to wrap my mind around why a business would want to be called "Kountry Kabin". The last time I checked the letters "c" and "k" make exactly the same sound when used in this instance, correct? And the ABSOLUTE WORST transgression of this sort is when a day care or preschool intentionally engages in this backwards behavior (e.g., Kidz World). If you think I will pay money to send my child to receive an education at your ignorant establishment, you have another thing coming mister!


Don't get me wrong -- I love a clever business name (such as Sew Cute) and will tolerate an abbreviation when the apostrophe is correctly placed (Bet'R Grocery Store), but throw an errant "k" or "z" in the mix (Kutterz Kabin -- a real hair salon in Bossier City) and you are likely to send me right over the edge. Just ask anyone who's been unlucky enough to spend a considerable amount of time in the car with me. :)

1 comment:

Candace said...

That's hysteri-KUL. Love it! HA!!!!