Saturday, June 12, 2010

Hair today, gone tomorrow

I may have the world's curliest head of hair now, but as a child my hair was severely straight and long.  Pigtails and french braids were staples of my mom's hair-styling repertoire.  So even though Lucy's hair has steadily gotten longer and more unruly over the last couple of months, I just couldn't bring myself to get it cut.  It was just so shiny and sweet with the most beautiful, soft flowing curls on the end that I didn't want to disappear.  But once it hit a daily 90 degrees here and we were blow-drying every night before bed/waking up with a huge rats nest of tangles in the morning, I submitted to the siren call of the summer 'do.

Here we are before,


during,

and after.

Given her recent propensity for toddler tantrums and disagreeing with pretty much everything ("No, mama, no!" is a new favorite phrase), I expected tears during Lucy's first haircut and was fully prepared with bribes.  But she sat quietly the entire time (I think sitting in the airplane chair and getting to watch a puppy movie may have helped) and instead I was the one who cried because my baby morphed into a big girl right before my very eyes.  The new bob has served two purposes -- it suits her feisty little personality just perfectly and it has helped me realize that I have to learn to let her grow up.  Just a little bit.

2 comments:

Candace said...

Awww... she looks so cute in her summer do and I must say her momma looks pretty cute, too, with her baby belly! Lucy is going to seem SOOOO big to you when Hannah is born. It's funny how that happens, but Zeke and Anna Grace both seemed to grow up overnight when I had the next one.

Love you, Jenn! Can't wait for some baby news!!!!

Anonymous said...

She is beautiful!!