Monday, June 22, 2009

Dear Lucy

1 day

9 weeks

6 months

9 months


1 year


Happy 1st Birthday, my sweet baby girl! We prayed long and hard for the blessing of a child in our lives, and boy were our prayers ever answered. :)

I will never forget the moment that you entered our lives on Sunday, June 22, 2008, at 4:32 pm at Woman's Hospital in Baton Rouge in a cold labor and delivery room. I had been in labor with you for a very, very long time and your Daddy and I were both so exhausted. We were a bundle of nerves -- scared about what lied ahead, but so excited to finally meet you. And all of a sudden, in the middle of all of the noise and chaos, we heard you cry out for your first breath. I swear it was as if time stood still for a moment and it was only us in this room full of people. Your Daddy and I were both tearing up from that sweet sound -- we locked eyes and smiled and knew that our lives were irrevocably changed and that nothing would ever, ever be the same. Things swung into full gear after that with a whole swarm of people cleaning and measuring you and Daddy in the thick of things trying to take pictures, but as long as I live I will never forget that tender moment when we recognized, "she's here!". You were perfect.

We had debated about what to name you for months while feeling you kick and squirm around inside me, and we finally settled on Lucy. Lucy is a Powers family name, and I'm sure you will learn all about the dynamic personality and antics of Aunt Lucy as you grow up. But what really sold me on your name is its meaning -- "one who brings light." After getting to know you this past year, I could not possibly think of a better description for you. Your smile lights up an entire room and you have brought so much light and joy to the lives of everyone you encounter. I wake up every morning eager to lift you out of your crib and snuggle your warm, sleepy body and look forward to rocking you to sleep every evening. The silly things you do make us laugh daily and we have marveled at the development of your sweet personality over the last 12 months. You have grown so much physically, mentally, and emotionally and it has been a miracle to watch.

You have taught us to love unconditionally, and for this lesson I am forever grateful. We are honored to know you and are privileged to be your parents. Lucille Catherine Powers, you have completely invaded our hearts and we can't imagine life without you!!!

2 comments:

Lesley said...

I love this post and the Father's Day post! What beautiful words to look back on. You are a great wife and mother Jenn! I loved seeing you this past weekend for Lucy's 1st birthday celebration.

Candace said...

Wow. Happy birthday, Lucy! What a perfect name for such a beautiful little girl. We love you!!!!!

(I hope she felt better for her party. Sad we missed you... seems to always happen to us, huh?)

Love you, Lucy, and love you, Jenn!c