Sunday, June 21, 2009

DaDa



Andrew and I started dating (for the first time) when I was 20 years old; we took a break for a while and then reconnected, and we've now been married for over five years. I have known him well for a really long time, but nothing prepared me for the way my heart would expand to the brink of explosion while watching him interact with our daughter. "Interact" is not really a strong enough verb -- he installs new floors in her nursery, prepares her meals, bathes her, reads her stories, makes her laugh when she is upset, and kisses boo boos when she falls. He wraps her up for naps, plays her sweet lullabies on his guitar, fetches her pacifier, changes her diapers, and pushes her swing. He loves her so completely. And I love him even more deeply for this.

The demands of parenthood are incredibly tremendous to say the very least, but Andrew has risen to the occasion with a joyful heart, a wonderful sense of humor, and unbridled enthusiasm. I am SO proud of him and all of the ways he has grown this year as "we" became three. It is clear how much affection Lucy holds for her DaDa and it is equally clear to anyone that watches them together how blessed she is to have such a lovely man for her daddy.

Happy Father's Day to all the men striving daily to become better people for the benefit of their children. We appreciate all that you do!

No comments: