Tuesday, July 13, 2010

E.S.P.

Hannah had her 1-week (okay, 9 days) check-up last Thursday, and one thing is exceedingly clear -- the girl loves to eat!  We weighed in at a healthy 8 lbs., 12 oz., which mean she gained back to her birth weight and then some.  I for one am not at all surprised by this development since it seems like all I've done for the last two weeks is nurse this child.  It can be so exhausting at times, but the reward is a healthy and happy newborn baby!  Our doctor said she is performing her E.S.P. (eat, sleep, poop) role perfectly.

So far Hannah is an absolute joy to be around -- she appears content to go with the flow (not even the dog barking or big sister yelling at the top of her lungs phases this little one) and is sleeping well.  She slept for 5 hours straight last night!  We're working on incorporating more sunshine and walks into our days as I recover, but that 100+ degree heat index is brutal.

Even though trying to juggle a newborn's constant needs with a toddler's demands for attention is pretty challenging, everything seems a bit easier this time around.  I guess it's because we are more relaxed and able to trust our instincts instead of being so nervous -- for example, I no longer think my baby is going to end up in therapy if I let her cry for a minute so I can go to the bathroom.  :)

Here are some of my favorite parts of Hannah to stare at and touch endlessly -- the ridiculously soft, super blonde (!) baby fuzz behind her ears and her long little legs and toes.  What a cutie pie!


No comments: